Register .ISLAND Domains
Be part of the blockchain community
Islands are places of longing and retreat. They are a synonym of living space, freedom, independence and privacy. Islands are either idyllic like the islands of the Caribbean or the South Sea, far away from the nearest land like the island Tristan da Cunha – the most remote settlement in the world or they are very densely populated like Santa Cruz del Islote or most dangerous for us like the island North Sentinel – home to indigenous people with no contact to the outside world. They are new or very old, romantic or completely inhospitable.
More than 500 million people live on islands. Sweden itself has more than 220000 islands. Madgascar is the oldest island in the world, the island Hunga Tonga-Hunga Ha’apai is probably the youngest island in the world.
A trademark holder can apply for their corresponding domain name, and the domain name must be an exact match. The trademark holder does not need to provide evidence upon initial registration, but they may be asked to provide evidence in the future if their claims come into suspect or if another trademark holder lays claim to the same name. If they cannot prove that they own a valid registered mark for their domain name then the name may be confiscated from them.
The following are considered valid registered marks:
- A registered trademark is a nationally or regionally (i.e. multi-nationally) registered mark on the principal or primary register in the mark’s jurisdiction.
- The trademark must have national effect and be registered at the time it is submitted for verification.
The following are not considered valid registered marks:
- Trademark applications
- Trademarks registered by a city, state, province, or sub-national region
- International trademark applications made via the Madrid system unless the underlying basic trademark registration has national effect
- Registered marks that were subject to successful invalidation, cancellation, opposition, or rectification proceedings
- Sunrise Registration: $70.50
- A trademark holder can apply for their corresponding domain name, and the domain name must be an exact match.
- Regular Registration: $40.70
- Regular Renewal: $40.70
- Some domains may be premium or reserved
- Please be aware that this is an experimental domain registration process.
- These domains don’t resolve to regular DNS and won’t show up on the regular web. Click here to see how to use NextDNS to access your names.
- This registration is not used to protect brand names.
Handshake is an experimental peer-to-peer root DNS
Handshake is a proof-of-work protocol like Bitcoin, except unlike Bitcoin where you only use the coins as money, Handshake coins (HNS) are also used to register names on the Handshake blockchain. Handshake names are top-level domain names (.com, .net, .org) but unlike traditional domain names that you can only rent, you truly own your Handshake names forever, which no one can take from you nor prevent others from accessing. And rather than being limited to renting from a small number of extensions like .com and .org, you can own and use almost any extension you can think of, including ones with Chinese characters, Russian characters, and even emojis!
These domains do not resolve on regular DNS sites. Use the search engine below to access Handshake names.
For more about Handshake, start here.